If you are a UK citizen, it may become necessary and easy for you to apply for a student education loan since you hold UK settled status and may pursu
If you are a UK citizen, it may become necessary and easy for you to apply for a student education loan since you hold UK settled status and may pursue your studies smoothly. Moreover, if you are disabled or are below the income threshold, you will get access to UK benefits.
However, if you are a non-UK citizen, getting a student loan may be difficult for you since you do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain.
Grounds to fulfil student loan eligibility criteria
Your application for a student loan in the UK will depend on a number of grounds, a few of them are listed below:
- The university or college details and background information
- The course you are applying for
- If you have any higher education degree in any course before this application
- Your age at the time of applying and background information
- Your national identity and the current UK immigration status
- Non-UK citizens must hold UK settlement status(have Indefinite Leave to Remain) from the first day of the college and beginning of the course to be eligible for a student loan.
Can I apply for a student loan if I don’t have Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Although it is very difficult to seek a student loan in ordinary circumstances if you do not have Indefinite Leave to Remain. However the UK Visa and Immigration allows you to seek support if you have compelling circumstances and your UK immigration status is either of the below mentioned:
- You are a refugee in the UK
- You have humanitarian protection
- You are a stateless person
- You hold ILR status because you were a victim of domestic violence and abuse
Grounds to get a student Loan
You will be eligible to seek a student loan for your desired course in the UK if you fulfil the below mentioned prerequisites:
- You are a UK citizen
- You hold an Indefinite Leave to Remain that allows you to travel without any restrictions in the UK and make you eligible to get the student loan.
- You have resided in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for a period of 3 continuous years before joining the course and making the application.
Can EU nationals get student education loans?
If you are an EU citizen and you have applied for a course that is scheduled to start on or after 01 August 2021 then you must have a settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme to apply for student education loans. If you are not having a settled status it disqualifies you from seeking a student education loan.
However the Irish citizens who want to study in the UK are exempted. Overseas students belonging to outside the EU may apply for a Student Visa if they are not eligible for Indefinite Leave to enter or remain.
Taking legal assistance to get ILR
ILR is an important requirement for Student education loans, else it would become difficult for an international student to study in the UK. It is important to take advice from an Immigration and visa expert who can guide you through the ILR process and help you make a suitable decision on your application. A Y & J Solicitors provide bespoke immigration and visa advice and handhold you to make a successful application.