IP service providers facilitate several Internet Protocol services such as IP telephony, voice call, fax and other forms of information communication.
IP service providers facilitate several Internet Protocol services such as IP telephony, voice call, fax and other forms of information communication. The Public Switched Telephone Network (PSTN) was used earlier for the transfer of information, but it was inefficient since a defined circuit path had to be established before the call could go through with several signal discrepancies and noise disturbances. The data in IP travels in the form of packets on shared lines and this helps in avoiding the tolls of PSTN. The challenge that is faced by IP networks is when the user specifies the data flow (order) but it doesn’t reach the receiver in the same flow. A virtual SMS service helps in connecting the two recipients by acting as an intermediate phone number. These virtual SMS numbers help in avoiding the long distance SMS and call charges incurred in IP telephony.
The concept of virtual numbers
- At the prices of a local call, virtual numbers allow a user present in one region with a distinct area code contact a person with an IP telephony in a region with another distinct area code. Users who need to make urgent long distance calls frequently can harness the power of virtual numbers for their benefit. This also works for the SMS domain.
- A virtual phone number is assigned to a user who uses VoIP or Voice over IP for frequent long-distance calls by the service provider. A call which is placed on this virtual number routes to the actual phone number of the user seamlessly and registers as a local call. The virtual mobile number SMS can be used by people who need to send urgent texts or by companies and banks overseas that need to authenticate or contact a user that is in another country. The service provider who provides the VoIP service charges the user a monthly fee for the virtual number.
- ‘Find me/follow me’ services also make use of virtual numbers. When a call or request is placed amongst a sea of numbers, the virtual number is traced from within various locations XPlayer.
- A phone number is assigned to every physical location since the beginning of time. The phone call would be dropped at the location that is specified by the transmitter through a single physical line. Through many PBX systems with routing smarts, voicemail applications, and IVRs, the businesses would finally receiver their calls.
- The physical limitation is eradicated by virtual numbers and saved a lot of time and money. There is no dependence on physical telephone systems as the virtual number can be manipulated by the company in a more flexible manner. A proxy handles and forwards the calls according to user-defined notions.
- The costs of the business reduce as there is no need for on-site telco
equipment, telco space, and phone lines. A connection can be established between multiple locations and there is unhindered contact between the same. The phone reception remains intact even when there is damage to the office or the business is shifting premises. This can be achieved at cheaper costs.