Emeralds are a composition of beryllium-aluminum-silicates infused by trace amounts of chromium and sometimes vanadium which creates beautiful green
Emeralds are a composition of beryllium-aluminum-silicates infused by trace amounts of chromium and sometimes vanadium which creates beautiful green coloring. Although the mineral composite itself has a hardness of 7.5 to 8, the emerald is considered a brittle stone making it difficult to cut.
The emeralds brittleness is due to a large number of inclusions, cracks, and fissures that are present. These inclusions add to the uniqueness of each emerald and are therefore tolerated because of the deep rich color they provide. Pure emeralds are almost unheard of therefore stones which are considered to quality are much more valuable than diamonds.
It is obvious that emeralds have long been prized for their beauty however in ancient cultures the adorning of such a gemstone was not only for aesthetics but also for the stones healing properties. The attributes associated with the emerald include the following:
1. The emerald is known as the “stone of successful love” and is believed to bring domestic bliss, unconditional love, loyalty and successful partnerships to the wearer. It is also said to promote friendships and has the ability to open your heart chakra.
2. Ensures physical, emotional and mental equilibrium by eliminating negativity and brings in positive actions. The emerald has an overall calming effect on your emotions.
3. Increases mental clarity strengthens memory, inspires a deep inner knowing and broadens vision. The emerald is also said to enhance psychic abilities and heightens clairvoyance. Traditionally the emerald was used to protect the wearer from enchantments and enabled them to tell the future diamonds healing properties. Being a wisdom stone it is said to promote truth and helps to bring to the surface what is already unconsciously known.
4. Because the emerald is thought to promote understanding and cooperation it is recommended when working in groups of people.
5. Traditionally this gem has been used as an antidote for poisons and for riding the body of infectious illnesses. It is also said that the green-ray it radiates can assist in the healing of malignant conditions.
The emerald is also believed to have a healing effect on the body. It is said that this gem has a detoxifying effect on the liver, improves vision, alleviates rheumatism and diabetes, treats the lungs, the heart and the various muscles of the body. Whether you choose to purchase an emerald for aesthetics, its healing properties or both its beauty is undeniable.